Thursday, October 20, 2011

French Onion Soup

Sorry I skipped a day! I got a little behind yesterday because I wasn’t feeling all that well.  dysautonomia is very unpredictable! I will just extend Soup(er) Week a day so I will have another tasty soup on Saturday! Tomorrow I will have Beef Stew and Saturday I will have Tex-Mex Chili! Ok, now onto today! I present to you French Onion Soup! I got this recipe from my favorite cookbook The New Good House Keeping Cookbook (I thought I should cite my source, I guess that’s what you get when you’re still a student!) Get ready to cry! Not only is this delicious to the point of tears but there is no easy way to cut all the onions! Well here we go:
French Onion Soup
What You Need:
·         1 loaf of French bread
·         4 TBS (of a half stick) of butter or margarine
·         3 large onions (I used 4 medium ones)
·         1 tsp. sugar
·         1TBS all-purpose flour
·         2 ½ cups water
·         ½ cup dry red wine
·         2 10 ½ ounce cans of condensed beef broth
·         4 or 5 slices Swiss cheese (I used Havarti, you can use any of you favorite cheeses)
·         Jelly-roll pan
What to Do:
1.    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2.   Place the butter in a skillet and put on medium heat to melt the butter
3.   While the butter is melting, chop your onions into 1/8 wedges (cunt the onion in half and then into fourths)
4.   Place the onions and the sugar into the skillet and stir every couple minutes, until the onions are golden brown. (about 10 minutes)
5.   Mix in the flour until the mixtures becomes well blended.
6.   Place the onions, water, wine, and broth into a large pot.
7.   Bring the mixture to a boil
8.   Turn the heat down to a low-medium temperature and simmer for 10 minutes
9.   While your soup is simmering, slice the bread into 4 1 inch slices and toast the bread until it is crisp.
10.  After the soup has been simmering for 10 minutes ladle the soup into four bowls and place the bowls on the jelly-roll pan.
11.   Plop the toast into the soup and place a slice of cheese on top
12.  Carefully place the pan into the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the chees is completely melted
13.  All that’s left is to enjoy your delicious French Onion Soup!
Thanks for reading, Kirstin  

0 comments:

Post a Comment